Friday, September 5, 2008

Storms

I haven't had any chances to go for a run this week but I am planning on getting in at least one this weekend. It does depend on the weather as Hanna heads up the coast. I hope we get lots of rain from this storm and I will go out in the rain and wind.

These storms make me miss the Coast Guard and the weeks of getting ready and then spending days and weeks helping people who weren't ready. I remember growing up at home with hurricanes hitting south Florida all the time. My dad owned a business on the beach and we would have to go help "tape" the windows and schools being out. I remember one storm hitting us and knocking the power out as we all slept in the family room so we could all see the storm together. We played board games and went outside when the eye of the storm came through, good times. Now Andrew is a different story, I was the last flight into to Homestead air base and then getting ready for the storm had a different urgency to everyone (even though it was real nice the day before the storm hit). When the storm hit, I, we, everyone was pretty scared and there were times during the night that I thought for sure we were all being wiped from the earth. I was "visiting" south Florida with a mission to buy a vehicle, after Andrew came through, that changed to helping anyone and everyone.

Times are a different now and the media love showing and giving time to the people that complain. If I lived in a "city" that is below sea level, I would have an understanding that there are going to be flooding issues. Anyway, I hope everyone stays safe and uses common sense.

Love and hug your loved ones every chance you get.

1 comment:

Mendy said...

I was wondering whether the hurrican was gonna hit Va Beach this weekend. We were lucky. I'm up here for another week.