Thursday, September 4, 2008

labor day weekend and World human race 10k

What an amazing weekend we had with hot temps but lots of good times with great people. We spent saturday chillin at the house with only a quick trip to the store as a family. Our neighbors down the street came over in the evening and ended up staying for dinner with our big boy and their big boy having lots of fun while playing together. We all played on the play set for a while which the 2 boys loved.

I woke up very early on sunday and headed to my favorite trail for a 6.5 mile run as I signed up for the Nike+ World human race 10k run. I had a fiber one bar for breakfast on the way there as the sun was coming up, I was feeling pretty good with no issues. I hadn't had many runs lately as well as any long runs, but the last couple of runs have been strong. I loaded up with a bottle of gatorade and some sharkies gummies and started out feeling good. I was aiming for a good strong pace for the first 2 miles and then just trying to get through the next rough 2 miles and then hopefully picking it back up to finish the last 2 miles strong. I did really well the first 2 miles and walked at the 2 mile mark with a quick drink of gatorade and some sharkies. I picked it back up going into the next hard 2 miles with several quick ups and downs. The weather was great although it was very humid so i was soaked with sweat the whole run. I had to walk a little in the middle of the tough 2 miles section but was still feeling good. When I got back out to the last 2 miles of easier trail, I picked it back up. I finished the run real strong and a time of 1 hour and 13 minutes. Very happy with my run overall even though I have not had many runs as of lately. Came home to a beautiful wife and awesome big boy waiting for me as we had breakfast and coffee.

We had plans to go to the city festival of Matthews alive with several of our neighbors and their kids. We got to the event at noon and walked around for the first couple of minutes. The heat was so extreme that the objective of the whole thing for us became to enjoy what we could from the shade. The kids had lots of fun with the beautiful wife and I spent all of our money on rides and food. I got a $8 quesidilla that was actually not bad for fair food. The big boy loved the event as well as both the misses and I loving every single second. The big boy and I went on a merry-go-round ride which was nice to enjoy some breeze. Then the beautiful wife and big boy went on a small train ride that he loved. We left after the train ride and went home to drink tons of water.

Monday was a nice and relaxing day at home with no plans or desire to do anything or go anywhere. We did end up going to babies-r-us for some baby shower gifts. The inlaws came with us and then wanted to go to dinner.

Love and hug your loved ones every chance you get.

No comments: