Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tired mountain weekend

I planned a trip up to the mountains of NC last weekend to see family and have some fun just like years past. Last year, it was a boys weekend as I took my big boy up to my parents cabin and we had a great time. This year my wife decided to go with us and we were going to pick up one of my brothers on the way. The wife wanted to leave saturday morning so I decided to mow the grass and get a run in friday evening. The run was good and very humid but I was able to get 5 miles in. I was planning on getting everything packed and loaded friday night also so we could wake up and go. Seeing as I didn't get back from the run until 9:45 and haven't eaten dinner, I knew there was no way to get that done so I would wake up early and get going. After eating dinner I went upstairs to pack some and the beautiful wife and big boy were arguing over sleeping so I took over and finally went to sleep with the big boy in our bed at midnight. I did wake up at 7 and packed and loaded the van as the wife took her time (she isn't excited to see my family) but an hour after I had planned to leave, we were off. Picked my brother up on the way and proceeded on the 3.5 hour drive to the cabin. 15 minutes away from the cabin, we (I) missed the exit from the highway and didn't realize until I noticed we were about 5 miles to Tennessee. Going through the mountains on a highway did not allow us to exit and turnaround so 37 miles later, we were turned around and headed back to where we needed to be.

Finally getting to the mountains and trying to meet up with my parents at a festival in Waynesville, the big boy got freaked out about something and wanted to go to the cabin. So we told my parents that we would be at the cabin and they could stay at the festival so the big boy could play. We had fun at the cabin as another brother of mine (one below me) and a family friend drove up from Orlando to visit also. My brothers went kayaking on a river and I could of gone but wanted to spend time with my wife and son so I stayed at the cabin. We went for a family walk later up the mountain and enjoyed the amazing views and millions of butterflies. We had a great family dinner at the cabin made by my step mom and really enjoyed the evening. We all watched tv and/or movies while some read books.

Now came time for everyone to sleep and this cabin has only 4 beds but there were 10 people in the cabin. So, everyon goes to the proposed beds and my wife and I were suppose to sleep in a bed in the same room as my parents when my wife comes out of the room and says, "I can't sleep in there cause your mom is snoring!" So I tell my little sister to go sleep in the bed we were going to sleep in and we would sleep on the sofa and the recliner. The wife went to sleep on the recliner and exhausted me slept on the recliner with no blanket or sheet or anything. I did sleep some but didn't mind to much about not sleeping but was worried about the wife and big boy. We all woke up and had a quick breakfast and then the Orlando group had to leave. The big boy freaked out again and wanted to take pictures instead of being in the pictures. We then went to church and had a great breakfast at my favorite country club in Waynesville.

Needless to say that after a long and sleepness night, I have been exhausted all week and have not had any runs or workouts. I am feeling better today and am planning on getting a run in tonight. Was a great time up at the mountains with family and can't wait til next year to do it again, but next time I'm going longer and doing more.

Love and hug your loved ones every chance you get!

No comments: